Mercy Kariuki the Mountain Girl

Who is Mercy and how would you describe yourself?
I am a mountaineer, adventure seeker and recently a rock climbing enthusiast and a proud Kenyan woman. My life passion involves chasing trails, altitude and height.

Tell us about your passion for hiking and mountain climbing?
I did my first hike back in primary school and hated it. It was a compulsory trip and I wore a gym skirt and bata Ngomas. Growing up, I have always been an active lady. I tried handball, running, traditional dances and participated in any competitions that involved fitness. After my last competition, Weetbix Fit Bit challenge season 2, where I emerged 2nd and the 1st woman in the competition I felt the need to keep going. I wanted to do more than jogging and everyday gym workouts. That is when I realised I love walking and moving.
I tried getting into hiking with the little information I had. I started with the obvious Mt Longonot and Ngong hills but I always felt that I was meant to do more. In early 2019 I went to the Aberdares and haven't stopped hiking since then. I learnt about hiking gear, made a list of places I wanted to go to and made friends with a lot of outdoor lovers.
You recently climbed Mt. Kilimanjaro. How was the experience?
Climbing Kilimanjaro is one adventure that I will never forget.  I had been preparing for the climb for quite some time. I did a lot of pre hikes and exposed myself to high altitude before making my trip to the roof of Africa a success.

Kilimanjaro was both physically and mentally draining especially on the last day when more than half of the group turned back before the summit. The altitude was crazy and the weather up there was not forgiving. For me, that was a real winter, the heavy snow, blizzard and extreme cold. We were so determined to carry on regardless.


Mountain climbing involves a lot of planning and it is not a cheap adventure. Take us through your planning process and requirements.
I keep telling myself that an expensive sport chose me. Going up mountains is not cheap, especially when you put things like safety, food and accommodation on the list.

I start by identifying my next trail or mountain. I go through the requirements then create a budget around it ‘what do I have?’ ‘what do I need to buy?’ then sum up.  If I am unable to reach the budget, I move to something more affordable and save the current one for later.

Every trip has its specific requirements.  Once you climb several times you will have collected all the gear required and you won’t have to bulk shop every time you want to go up a mountain.

Why is hiking important to you and why do you love it?
Hiking changed my life. I struggled with mental health for a while and hiking took my problems away. I find so much peace out there. I feel good,  get mountain high and it is something I look forward to every time I climb.
Hiking is not only good for building your physical strength but for your heart and brain too. It helps combat stress and anxiety among other issues that bother us in everyday life.

How do you physically and mentally prepare for a hike?
I am always ready for a hike. I try my best to maintain a healthy and sensible diet to maintain strength, walk every day, gym once in a while and daily home workouts including yoga. When I am not working from the office I do pre hikes around easily accessible areas before going for big multi-day hikes.

Do you have any nutrition regime for before, during and after a hike?
I carry nutritious snacks to the trails. I love green apples, a good trail mix that has dry fruits and seeds, dark chocolate and warm oatmeal for breakfast. After a hike, I like to bulk up on protein, repair foods. I enjoy bone broth, lean goat meat and a lot of leafy greens.

What is the most challenging part about your passion?
The most challenging part about this passion is time and finances. I have a day job, so I have to hike on my off and leave days. Sometimes money is an issue since I have to save a lot and set aside money meant for the outdoors only.

What keeps you going when your body is tired and you just want to give up?
I nourish myself with the most positive energies and like-minded people to keep me going. The thing with giving up is showing your body that there is no room for trial and failure. Learning how to embrace the two is a lifesaver.

You have had a lot of incredible adventures. Which are your most memorable and why?
I have so many memorable hikes, like the recent trek to the roof of Africa. I never knew or expected what the mountain gave me. It gave me sweet pain.  I hated it at that particular moment but could not stop smiling and talking about it after. That trip gave me so much emotional strength. My birthday trip to Mt Ololokwe in Samburu was quite amazing. I got a great solo package and I was queen B that weekend. I felt so special in Samburu. 
My other memorable adventure has to be Mt Kenya which feels like home every time I go there. There is always a wow moment on that mountain no matter how many times you have been there. I love the Mau caves, Nithi falls, the lakes and not forgetting the fluffy cute rock hyrax at Mintos camp.

Which other outdoor activities do you enjoy?
I recently started outdoor rock climbing and I love it so much. I also trained in Kite surfing in Nyali. I intend to do more of those two activities.

What is on your adventure bucket list?
I dream big and I love that about myself.  I have a  long list, just to mention a few: Mt Meru, Rwenzori, Everest base camp, Ras Dashen, rock climbing in the Aberdares, Samburu among others.

What are your hiking must-have items?
I have a list of hiking essentials that I can never  leave behind:

Snacks
Small first aid kit
Hydration bladder
Headlamp
Boots
Cold and rain gear
Pocket knife

Leave me in the middle of nowhere with these essentials and I will survive.

What advice would you give the newbies?
I always advise beginners to go for it. Build gear as you go depending on your needs. Go to hikes that are within your financial means but don’t be afraid to dream big.

All photos c/o Mercy Kariuki

Fun. Learn. Share



0 comments