Meet Michael Nzioki, a Costume Designer and Wardrobe Stylist

Meet Michael Nzioki, a fashion/costume designer and a wardrobe stylist for Tv commercials and shows. He is the best human to be with on set, jovial and always ready to offer fashion tips and assistance. If he is not working and looking all focused and serious he is somewhere telling stories and laughing. Michael describes himself as a creative, innovator, critic and God-fearing.
Photo c/o Michael 
When and how did you start styling? 
My passion for fashion started when I was young. My mum was a dressmaker at Jericho market and I used to accompany her to the shop. I got fascinated by how she would turn fabrics into interesting outfit designs. Later in life, I pursued a 3-year course in fashion design.

Did you always want to become a fashion designer growing up?
I wanted to become someone totally different. Like most kids, during our times we always wanted to be either a doctor, pilot, teacher etc. But I let life take its course.

Were your parents in support of your choice of career in fashion design? My parents did not have a problem with my career choice, they were a great encouragement.

How did you end up styling for film and tv and how has the experience been?   The opportunity came while I was working at a fashion house. A producer at a local production house happened to visit the fashion house to have costumes designed and made. Since my boss was not around at that time, I was handed the big task which I took willingly, and I never regretted it.
That job was a significant breakthrough for me and since then I fell in love with the film industry and styling.
That is the day I found my purpose.
The experience has been great. In every set, there is a  new learning process and you get to learn and experience a lot which sharpens your skills to become the best.

You have worked on several award-winning and global projects, the latest ones being 40 sticks and Poachers on Netflix. You must be smiling all the way to the bank.
It is a great achievement. I thank the producers for believing in me and allowing me to be part of a great team to make beautiful pictures.

You work with many different people who have different fashion styles and body shapes and sizes. How do you make sure every client is happy and looks the part?
You have to be clear, understanding and frank without being harsh or blatant with clients and take them through the design process that works best with their bodies and the role. Most of them listen and trust your professional advice, but some of them sometimes don’t understand the styling process.

When it comes to sourcing for clothes and accessories, who are your go-to designers and shops? I have a network of local designers who supply me with designs or are ready to make outfits with the brief I give them. I also have networks with clothing retail shops.

You have been in the Kenyan fashion industry for years. What are your views on the industry, what can be improved and what is the future like? The fashion industry in Kenya has a long way to go. The market should appreciate locally made outfits and designs, then the rest will fall into place to make the industry grow. The government should also take an interest in the fashion industry and create opportunities for the industry to thrive.

Which is your all-time best styling job that you have ever done? My best styling job was “Niko na Safaricom” and it was my first ever job in the Tv and commercial industry.

Apart from making your clients look good, what else do you aim to achieve with your work? I aim to achieve a beautiful picture visually, for the viewers to have a complete composition in a film or commercial. Visual is everything in a film.

What items are in your styling bag?  I never miss a tape measure, scissors, pins and a notebook to scribble down ideas.
Share with us the fashion tips that you give your male and female clients? Dress according to your body.  Don't see someone else in an outfit and think it will look good on you as it does on them.


 

0 comments