Petronilla Ambitah on her Love for Reading and Favourite Books and Authors


Petronilla Ambitah Kilo is a 4th-year student at Maseno University. She is passionate about Civil Rights Law and has great respect and love for humanity. Petronilla loves to read and write.

Why do read?
I read because I love to. I don’t have any particular reason. I don’t remember a time in my life where I was not drawn to books and reading.

Tell us about your reading journey
As a little girl, I loved to read storybooks. I would read my elder sister’s books. I was too young for her books but I enjoyed reading them. My father is also a lover of books, and he is the one who introduced me to reading. He used to tell me stories about past political leaders like Idd Amin, Julius Nyerere and Adolf Hitler. I grew up reading his historical books.

What are you currently reading?
I am currently reading African writers, a decision I made earlier last year. My current reads include Half of a Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, Decolonizing the Mind by Ngugi wa Thiong’o and The Nervous Conditions by Tsitsi Dangarembga, a Zimbabwean writer.

What genres do you love?
I read all genres. I don’t have a specific preference.

Favourite books and authors
I love Chinua Achebe’s style of writing and his books are among my favourite. I love: Things fall apart, The Anthills of the Savannah and There was a Country.
I follow Chimamanda Ngozi and Gabrielle Union. I also love Miguna Miguna’s style of writing. I own a copy of his book called Kidneys for the King.

What are your reading habits?
I read mostly at night and afternoons.
I keep two diaries, where I journal my short notes, vocabularies and hefty sayings as I read.
I do like to read book reviews. Sometimes reviews can be misleading, especially when they are not well written. They can influence a reader not to read a book or raise expectations of a certain book.
My favourite bookstragammers are @Thebookholics and @TheLostLibrary.

What reading tips would you give other book lovers?
Reading matters and starting early matters even more. Reading is a legacy.

ABOUT THE SERIES
Book Lovers is where lovers of books share their reading stories, current reads and favourites, reading habits and tips, and everything books.

ABOUT WACERA KIEHA
Wacera Kieha is a multimedia and lifestyle brand based in Nairobi, Kenya. We create content that is entertaining, informative, and inspirational.

Book Lover - Petronilla Ambitah
Editor - Wacera Kieha Fun. Learn. Share


0 comments